Epilogue

I’m often asked if this mission was a good experience... to which I answer that it was an unexpected experience, a slap in the face...

Essentially, what first motivated me to go on that mission was my wish to put my abilities to good use and help those in need. I didn’t want to find myself looking back one day thinking, “I could have done something...”

As it turns out, the reasons that motivated me to go on that humanitarian mission and still motivate me to go on others are differentiated. When you choose to become a surgeon, you must understand that surgery is a peculiar world. It’s not all about scalpels and surgeries. One must be prepared to live a life made of decision making, responsibilities, lavished with fierce competition, glory, frustration and adrenaline... In a situation like the one in Haiti, circumstances push you to return to the basics: patients. There’s no more competition, or glory, or even conventions and congresses. There’s only the relationship between a doctor and a patient, the quintessence of our vocation.

Back in a modern hospital, I appreciate the return to the other aspects of my career, those mentioned above. However, my experience in Haiti has reminded me why I chose the career that I have, and what the bearings of my work are.

I would go back on a mission tomorrow if I could...

No comments:

Post a Comment