January 12 - February 8, 2010

Soon after the earthquake, the medias started reporting enormous death tolls. Images and reports from Haiti were harsh, but one could sense that we were only shown the tip of the iceberg.

Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF/DWB) was already present in Haiti before the earthquake happened. Several MSF members were killed when the Trinité hospital in Port-au-Prince crumbled to the ground. That hospital had been managed by MSF for many years.

In the light of the magnitude of that catastrophe, and knowing that my training in orthopaedic and trauma surgery would be helpful, I volunteered to join MSF’s ranks just a few days after the quake. Medical help, especially surgeons, were greatly needed. It was an urgent mission that normally wouldn’t last more than 2-3 weeks depending on the availability of the surgeons, but also because of the conditions on site.

The victims mostly suffered from musculoskeletal lesions and open wounds. Surgeons, especially orthopaedics, would play an important part in helping the Haitian population.

For two weeks, I’ve waited to find out if I would go. I tried to stay up-to-date with the evolution of the situation over there through the media, various non governmental organizations (NGO), governmental agencies and also the first medical groups that joined the disaster relief like the AAOS (American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons).

In the evening of February 5, I’ve received a phone call from the headquarters of MSF-Switzerland asking me if I could be ready to leave on the morning of February 8. I said yes without any hesitation. On February 6, I spent part of the day organizing my absence. I had to cancel or reschedule my pending surgeries, organize my rounds and clinics and find replacement colleagues for my on-call days...

Since I am a staff surgeon in a University Hospital, my humanitarian undertaking caused a few problems, not only on an organizational level, but also on a personal one, as the hospital’s management didn’t entirely agree with my decision to leave.

On Sunday February 7, the Saints won the Superbowl against the Colts. I was leaving for Haiti three hours after the game...

No comments:

Post a Comment